Saturday, October 2, 2010

Welcome 2010 - 2011 School Year

We have had a terrific start to our first month in piano lessons in the new school year.  I appreciate the enthusiasm students are bringing to their lessons, and their practice at home which shows they are prepared to learn their next lesson.  

I received an email from a new student's parents. This little guy is a first grader - and while I normally do not start them this young, I learn from the past.  Let me back up.

It was my first year in teaching and I received an inquiry call in January from a mom that was interested in having her Kindergarten son start piano.  While I advised her that it was pretty young to start learning, she assured me that her son was capable of handling it.  Knowing that tuition is month-to-month, we both agreed to give the little guy a chance.  

Brody is now starting Fifth grade and has always been an outstanding piano student. He practices during the week to be prepared to move forward the following lesson. While he may tear it up on the baseball or football field, he comes to piano calm and ready to learn. I am glad I listened to his mom and started him that one January day six years ago. 

Learning from my past I am giving another young one a chance this year. I received this email from his parents: 

Linda, thank you for making piano so fun for Carter. He is loving it. I heard him tell Tori, "Isn't it so much fun? It's like it's only 10 minutes long because you're having so much fun!"

I thought that was awesome and very cute. He obviously is liking it and he is practicing at home without arguing which is nice. 

Thank you, 
Chris

That is what I hope to achieve for every student. A passion for music - for fun, for purpose, for a bigger goal - it does not matter. I just hope that each student enjoys their time at the piano at their home, and at my home. Playing Music For Compassion - that's what it's all about for me. 

4 comments:

  1. I wish we lived closer so you could teach my daughter...she is about to start piano. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my Virtual Piano Student page, Asher. Maybe we can do lessons via webcam?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I wish we were still traveling to your home and taking lessons, Linda! I know we share the same passions for teaching piano and I'm so impressed how you are taking it one step further...you've always been an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susan! I miss Kyle very much and our fun sofa-chair chats. YOU are the one that inspired me to get started in this fun piano teaching business six years ago - remember?! I always will. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete